History

Williamstown Primary School is a friendly, community focused school with over 160 years history.

Williamstown Primary School – 1890

1977, Preschool built

In 1977 the preschool was built and opened. During 1980, extensive renovations to the main building occurred and the school was officially re-opened in October 1981.  The schoolroom started in 1858 still stands today and has been incorporated into the newer extension.

1990s, Breaking records

By the end of the 1990s, average enrolments were up to two hundred and ninety students, and in the year 2000, broke the barrier and reached three hundred and two students. The school now averages over two hundred students plus preschool enrolments.

The Williamstown Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) opened in the fourth term of 2004 providing a much needed service to the community.

1856, Founded

10 acres was given for the construction of a school house and a teachers dwelling in the township of Williamstown. By 1858, building had commenced at an estimated cost of three hundred and seventy five pounds. It was soon finished and by 1861 the school was thriving with its average enrolment of forty four students. The head teacher was Mr Charles Andrews.

1870s, Growth

In 1875, the Government passed an Education Act making it compulsory for children between the ages of seven and thirteen to attend school.

By the late 1870s, the school’s enrolment had doubled to an average student body of eighty students. A new residence for the head teacher was built in 1904.  This is still in use today, housing the OSHC program.

1900s, Growing in the community

In 1915, the head teacher, Mr H Spencer, supervised the planting of sixteen pine trees along the south and west fences of the school.  These pines were ‘digger trees’ planted by the local families of men serving in WW 1.

By 1920, the school was booming with an average enrolment of one hundred and fifty six students. Two more classrooms were built on the school grounds to accommodate the increase in students.

By 1940 the average enrolment had dropped to seventy five students.  In March 1942, it was decided to build an air raid shelter at the end of the school grounds for the safety of the students.

Enrolment numbers increased again to one hundred and fifty students by 1960.

Williamstown Primary School – 1920